It was all very frustrating, but having come out of the water and got back on board the boat to see the fog, I could not argue with the decision to stop the swim, especially with 2 of my kids on board. Visibility was 75/100 yards at most and we were about to go through the main shipping lanes. I understand that 2 other boats also stopped their swims, but the 3 that continued must have been mad.
With the the channel swimming season about to end, another try this year was not realistic and as boats are booked up so far in advance, the best tidal slots are already booked for next year, so I have decided to leave it until 2016 when I can book a better slot. In the meantime I have already signed up to try a 50 mile run over the Downs next May and an ironman triathlon in July, so will now be trying to lose some of the extra weight I had put on for the swim and then put it back on this time next year!
Thank you to all that supported me and donated to the charities.